OJSC Scientific-Research Institute of Metallurgical Heat Engineering established in 1930 as Ural Division of All-Union Heat Engineering Institute is widely known in Russia and the CIS. The Institute focuses on development of high-technology heat engineering units, energy efficient and ecologically friendly technologies in ferrous and non-ferrous metallurgy, machine-building and other fuel-consuming branches of industry.
Highly-qualified academic researchers, unique experimental and production facilities and own research and design centre enable efficient scientific-and-research, design-and-experimental, engineering and project works, delivery of equipment, designer's supervision and commissioning works including execution of turnkey contracts in the following areas:
• development of techniques and modes of metal raw material heat treatment;
• design of energy-efficient agglomeration hearths and agglomeration gas heat recovery circuits allowing to reduce energy consumption and dust and gas emissions.
• optimal traveling grate pelletizing furnaces for heat treatment of iron-ore pellets from various concentrates (hematite, magnetite, etc.) with optimal automatic process control system.
Preparation of metallic and nonmetallic raw materials:
• technique of iron-ore raw material dephosphorization by roasting and leaching;
• installations for drying high-moisture dispersive materials of various designs;
• efficient techniques of magnetizing roasting and subsequent dressing;
• technique of rare-earth element extraction (for example, germanium from germanium iron ores).
• explosion-proof near-furnace systems of blast furnace slag granulation giving a high-quality product for cement production;
• optimal control system for hot blast stoves;
• an innovative bench for drying hot metal and steel-smelting ladles;
• copper coolers and tuyeres of blast furnaces.
DRI (direct reduction of iron)
• improvement of the reduction technique in shaft furnaces using the MIDREX и HYL-III technologies for radical improvement of technical and economic indicators of their operation (productivity is increased twice);
• technique of raw material reduction in rotary furnaces using coal as the reductant.
Lime production: development of the technique and increase of lime production process efficiency:
• in shaft furnaces;
• in double-shaft furnaces;
• in rotary furnaces;
• in “stacked-tower preheater - rotary furnace” installations;
• in “shaft calciner - rotary furnace” installations (VNIIMT innovative technology).
Granulation of metal melts:
• development of technologies and designs of explosion-proof plants for near-furnace granulation of metallurgical slag, molten metal, etc., including heat recovery;
• development of new and update of the existing designs of furnaces for stock heating;
• high-performance systems of reheating furnace firing with recovery and regeneration firing systems based on the innovative burner units designed by VNIIMT;
• switching the furnace firing systems to cheaper fuel types;
• development and implementation of optimal furnace operating parameters.
Heat-treatment furnaces development of techniques and equipment for heat treatment of roll stock and metal products including those with protective atmospheres:
• thermochemical treatment conditions ensuring retention or directional change in chemical composition of metal surface;
• gas dampers for heat-treatment furnaces;
• spray quenching units and other elements of convective cooling systems;
Furnaces with protective atmosphere and gas treatment units:
• development of the furnace structure, design, manufacture, delivery and commissioning works;
• development of a technology for treatment of articles and devices for protective gas generation;
• calculation, development and manufacture of endogas and exogas atmosphere generators for metal product thermochemical treatment units;
• gas analysis systems for monitoring and control of physico-chemical properties of protective process atmospheres.
Reheating, heat-treatment and drying furnaces with convection heat transfer:
• development, design and manufacture using industrial heat-resistant (up to 900 оС) furnace fans designed by VNIIMT.
• techniques and units for controlled high-speed air-to-water cooling (quenching) of rolled ferrous and non-ferrous metal products including thick plate on mill 5000;
• replacement of oil quenching technology with VNIIMT's eco-friendly air-to-water technique;
• innovative technique of oily mill scale processing;
• line of wire rod accelerated air cooling with Stelmor process improvement.
Manufacturing manufacture and delivery of:
• high-performance burner units;
• heat-resistant (furnace) fans (up to 900 оС);
• copper coolers for blast furnaces and nonferrous furnaces based on VNIIMT technology;
• Pitot tubes for measuring flow rates and pressures.
OJSC VNIIMT developments are widely used in metallurgical enterprises of Russia, Ukraine, Kazakhstan, China, India and others.
For detailed information on institute developments, please visit OJSC VNIIMT site at www.vniimt.ru
Tel: (343) 374-03-80, fax: (343) 374-29-23
16 Studencheskaya St., Yekaterinburg, 620137,